Re: [Evolution] Does Evolution retrieve email even when it is not being run??

Hi Jeff,

I'd bet anything that KDE was applying some theme or another to
Evolution to make it look like other KDE/Qt applications and that's what
was causing the crashes (we got a lot of reports from people running KDE
and it was because of the theme they were using, having them switch to
no theme made all the crashes go away)

we can't be blamed for other people's software products being buggy (tho
we often are).

True enough Jeff.  But at the same time I think Ximian (at the time)
should have investigated this and done something to rectify the
situation (filed a bug with KDE, coded some workaround, etc.).  Perhaps
they did.  I don't know.

I mean I could use your reasoning (which I do agree with in general) to
likewise say "Well, we can't be blamed if OpenOffice.org crashes under
Microsoft Windows.  We can't be blamed for other operating systems being
buggy.".

How many people tying OpenOffice.org under Windows (assuming it was
crashing a lot relative to other programs) would "blame" Windows vs
OpenOffice.org?  Not many I daresay.  They just wouldn't bother with
OpenOffice.org.

Same goes for Evolution.  If KDE (surely one of the Windows Managers
under which Evolution should have run flawlessly) was at fault then the
question was why?  And why did different themes cause Evolution to be
unstable under KDE?  Did Ximian ever address that or did they simply
ring their hands and say "Well that's KDE's fault and not something we
should have to deal with"?  Would Novell do something in so far as they
could, if Evolution was likewise crashing under KDE today?  Does Novell
consider running Evoltuion under other Window Managers important enough
to fix bugs relative to running under those Window Managers or is it
mainly focused on Evolution being a Gnome product?  Just curious.

Carlos