Re: [Evolution] Does Evolution retrieve email even when it is not being run??

Hi Raul,

Approximately 2-3 evolution processes stay around running in the
background after you quit: evolution-alarm-notify,
evolution-data-server, and evolution-exchange-storage (if you use
Connector).  I'm not sure if all of those stay around, but at least a
couple do.  Running evolution-2.0 --force-shutdown is supposed to really
kill everything.

Hmm...not good.  No, not good at all.  I sure don't appreciate an
application doing stuff like this without anything in the documentation
to even suggest this.  Or worse the inability to make it stop (short of
a logging in and logging out - though I still need to test whether it
actually stops even through that).

The more I kick Evolution (like one would kick a tire) the more I am
beginning to realize that this program has a lot of problems that still
need to be ironed out.  The last time I tried Evolution over a year ago
it was a joke.  Constantly crashing.

It's gotten a whole heck of a lot better and the developers and others
involved in the 2.0 release are to be applauded but all this makes me
wonder if I want to encourage business use of Evolution.  I need a
robust and rock solid application and am wondering if Evolution fits
that bill.

Even when I looked at the recent bugs fixed list I couldn't believe that
Evolution had, until the bug was fixed, not kept emails on a POP server
when told to do that.  Among a huge list of other bugs.

I tried Thunderbird yesterday but it fails to have some things that are
very handy in Evolution.  Like flags and virtual folders.  I don't know.
I suppose I could get involved in helping out with evolution in terms of
chasing down and dealing with bugs and I may still do that.  But for now
I am wondering if it would be best for me to just find another email
application that does not seem to have so many quirks that need to be
worked around.  Decisions, decisions.  What shall I do.

Anyway thanks for the input Raul.

Carlos