Re: [Evolution] How to annotate a received e-mail?

On Tue, 2005-01-25 at 17:35 -0800, Raul Acevedo wrote:
It's been mentioned three times in the five months I've been on this
list, but has been shot down by the developers because it is apparently
a Bad Thing to modify the original email.  It's been mentioned even more
times if you count being able to delete attachments.
Hmm, it has?  I haven't seen it.

The first (and any following) solution i would use for annotation woudln't involve altering the message content at all.  IT has nothing whatsoever to do with removing attachments either.  I think you're talking about something different.
However several email clients do this, and I haven't seen mention of
what exactly would break if evolution would do it.  The sense I get is
that nothing would break, they're just trying to stick to a strict
RFC-type correlation between message id and original email.  ("If you
modify the email, it needs a new message id.")
If you're talking about modifying messages, uh, it can't be done without deleting the old message and adding a new altered one.  This is the abstraction our libraries use.  IT isn't about 'breaking' anything, it just isn't possible to do any other way.
Unfortunately there's no way to search the archives, so I don't know the
details of the original argument against modifying emails.  Could a
knowledgeable person summarize the argument against doing it?
Google.
Raul