Re: [Evolution] How to annotate a received e-mail?

On Tue, 2005-01-25 at 17:35 -0800, Raul Acevedo wrote:
It's been mentioned three times in the five months I've been on this
list, but has been shot down by the developers because it is apparently
a Bad Thing to modify the original email.  It's been mentioned even more
times if you count being able to delete attachments.

However several email clients do this, and I haven't seen mention of
what exactly would break if evolution would do it.  The sense I get is
that nothing would break, they're just trying to stick to a strict
RFC-type correlation between message id and original email.  ("If you
modify the email, it needs a new message id.")

Unfortunately there's no way to search the archives, so I don't know the
details of the original argument against modifying emails.  Could a
knowledgeable person summarize the argument against doing it?

Hmm, there are ways to do this with out altering original message I
would think.  I would guess storing the annotations in the summary (like
label info) would be too much for that method though, but I'm not a
mailer expert.

-JP
--
JP Rosevear <jpr novell com>