Re: [Evolution] How to operate on mail messages?

On Fri, 2005-01-21 at 00:54 -0500, R. Drew Davis wrote:
There are a couple of things I sometimes want to do with e-mail that I
haven't been able to figure out how to do with Evolution.

1-  Sometimes I receive e-mail with layers and layers of headers on it.
(Often a too-forwarded joke).  I'd like to operate on the original mail
message in a text editor to strip out the excess baggage, then
re-incorporate the slimmed down message back into the mail folder and
forward it along.

Why won't copy-ad-paste work?

2- Sometimes I want to insert a couple of e-mail messages into an
outgoing message as attachments.   I only know how to attach files.
Am I supposed to save the original message as a file of some particular
type so that when inserted back into the outgoing message its back to
being e-mail (perhaps with HTML in it) instead of just going in as text?

Drag-and-drop.

At the bottom of the compose window is the text "(drop attachment
here)".  In the "subject list pane", highlight the subject of an
email, then drag it onto the bottom of the compose window.

After you drag all the relevant emails into the attachment bar, I
suggest that you right-click on each one, choose Properties, and
ensure that "Suggest automatic display of attachment" is checked.

By the way, I've noticed when I reply to HTML-formatted e-mail with
plain text mail, that editing the text of the original mail to strip out
portions unnecessary in the reply often results in Evolution 2.0.2 going
into a CPU-busy loop.   Is that a known bug?

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Whatever may be the moral ambiguities of the so-called demoratic
nations and however serious may be their failure to conform
perfectly to their democratic ideals, it is sheer moral
perversity to equate the inconsistencies of a democratic
civilization with the brutalities which modern tyrannical states
practice."
Reinhold Nieburhr, ca. 1940