Re: [Evolution] How set a default domain for domainless emails??? e.g. sendto: Fred

On Sat, 2005-01-15 at 09:49 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Fri, 2005-01-14 at 17:44 -0800, Des Dougan wrote:
On Fri, 2005-01-14 at 08:31 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
So there's no concept of a "default domain"? I've frequently thought
this would be useful, especially for those of us who work from several
locations. I correspond with a large user community at my institution,
both from the office and from home, so it's not a question of putting
everyone in my address book, and I've found the LDAP lookup from Evo to
be really slow -- whereas Thunderbird for some reason is very fast,
against the same server -- so it would be a nice feature. I guess I'll
file a wishlist request.

If I type in e.g. "des" with no domain, it will default to my account
name on my server, and will deliver mail correctly. Is this not what
you're asking?

Not always. At work, this is fine. At home, my SMTP server belongs to an
ISP and their concept of default domain is not what I want.

I filed a wishlist bug but someone replied that it was harder than it
looked because addresses with no domain are just sent to the SMTP
server. I think it could still be done fairly easily (if no "default
domain" is set, just behave as now, otherwise use it). There is another
solution: set up your own sendmail locally to do the right thing. Not
realistic for Joe User.

Every linux installation has an MTA installed.  It's needed in
order to send local email.  It was pretty easy for me to tell
postfix to send all non-local mail out to my ISP's smtp server.

You would, though, need to add a "local spool" as well as pop3
as input sources.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Pacifism can act more effectively against democracy than for
it."
George Orwell, 1941