Re: [Evolution] How set a default domain for domainless emails??? e.g. sendto: Fred

On Sat, 2005-01-15 at 09:49 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Fri, 2005-01-14 at 17:44 -0800, Des Dougan wrote:

If I type in e.g. "des" with no domain, it will default to my account
name on my server, and will deliver mail correctly. Is this not what
you're asking?

Not always. At work, this is fine. At home, my SMTP server belongs to an
ISP and their concept of default domain is not what I want.

The way I get around this is to use SMTP AUTH. We have finally enabled
this on our externally visible SMTP servers and so now I use my work
SMTP servers all the time. For those who are not too familiar with SMTP:
SMTP AUTH allows one to authenticate SMTP sessions (surprise!) and this
then means that you can allow relaying from external addresses with out
being abused by spammers.

This will not work if your ISP blocks SMTP from general users.

Cheers, Russell.