Re: View / Preview Pane accelerator (was: Re: [Evolution] I type a single-quote and get an acute accent)

On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 17:23 +0100, guenther wrote:
Note that you can get an apostrophe rather than an accent by hitting
single-quote+space. My fingers do this by muscle-memory (I have an
apostrophe in my surname :-)

Isn't this a common char in English? Just like the forth char in this
paragraph? ;)

No, it's the fourth char :-)

I can't believe the English keyboard layout needs a Space after this. I
don't need a Space to get the apostrophe appear using a German keyboard
layout. (Neither do I need the Space for a backtick.)

The keyboard doesn't, but when typing in a "dead-key" mode it does.
That's what dead keys are all about.

This seems to be screwed anyway. The menu and the accelerator definition
(see below) sets "grave" (which should be the backtick or backquote,
right?) -- whereas we are talking about a single quote here...

On a related note, I haven't found any way to type Ctrl-` (control-
backquote), the accelerator for Preview Pane in Evo. Hints would be
appreciated.

There is another accelerator for View / Preview Pane that works for me
(German keyboard layout). In addition to Ctrl-grave, Ctrl-hash works for
me (hash is on the same key as the single quote on German keyboards,
just without the Shift modifier).

No, doesn't work for me (the # is above the 3 on US keyboards. I also
tried Ctrl-" (the ' is above ") but no luck.

Now to the actual "hint" part, as you requested. ;)

You can change accelerators (and a lot more) in a bunch of XML files.
You need to be root (more precisely, the one who installed Evolution).

The View / Preview Pane accelerator is defined in your
$prefix/share/evolution/2.0/ui/evolution-mail-global.xml file. It's this
chunk:

    <cmd name="ViewPreview"
     _tip="Show message preview window"
     accel="*Control*grave"
     type="toggle"/>

Change the accel attribute to suite your needs and keyboard.

I'll try that, thanks.

poc