[Evolution] I type a single-quote and get an acute accent

When I type a single-quote (apostrophe) character when composing mail, the first key press gives me nothing, then pressing it again gives me an acute accent character, like this ´.   The double-key press makes it seem like I´m in some sort of character composing mode without wanting to be.

I´ve checked my language settings in Evolution and KDE, and checked my keyboard type.  I´m set to American English for all with UTF-8 character encoding.  In fact, as soon as I type the word with the acute in it, the spell checker wants to fix it, and does it properly (replaces it to a word with an apostrophe).  Note that there are two offending words in this paragraph.

I have a Microsoft Natural keyboard and am running an up-to-date Fedora Core 3 on i686, KDE 3.3 and Evolution 2.0.2.

If anyone can help, please let me know.

Thanks,
Ed