Re: [Evolution] I type a single-quote and get an acute accent

On Sat, 2005-01-08 at 04:20 +0100, guenther wrote:
On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 18:14 -0500, Ed Skladany wrote:
Hi Jeff,
Thanks for the response.  I'm suspecting the same thing, but don't
know what else to check.

Strange, that post didn't appear here, neither does it in the list
archives. Anyway...

I don't see anything odd in my environment.

Running "locale" gives me:
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
[snip]

I do see something odd.

Like I mentioned in another thread some days ago and again just
recently, those locales are broken.

'locale' *never* returns quotes for me, unless I explicitly tell it to
use it (and break it).

$ export LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
$ locale | grep TIME
LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8

$ export LC_TIME=\"en_US.UTF-8\"
$ locale | grep TIME
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"

The former results in proper behavior, like translations, time format
(LC_TIME) and sorting (LC_COLLATE) -- whereas the latter does not and
falls back to C locale.

At least this is how it is on my system. I don't know, if Fedora and
Mandrake use such different versions...

I must admit I don't know much about the locale system, but on my FC2
system I get the same:

$ locale
LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_GB.UTF-8"
.
.
But,
$ echo $LANG
en_GB.UTF-8
$ echo $LC_CTYPE

$ echo $LC_COLLATE

$

So the values being printed by 'locale' are not the environment
variables - is it possible they are being derived from somewhere based
on the value of $LANG?

P.