Re: [Evolution] Feature requests

On Fri, 2004-12-31 at 16:31 +0530, Amish Munshi wrote:
[snip]

I dont want mails to be visible to anyone. If we use encrypted filesystem,
it is only during the bootup that it will ask for password. Users usually
boot their system in the morning and it remains available for extended
periods.
If there are 5 admins who know the root passwords for this system, you
never know when the admin read the CEO's mails using SSH to the system.

Instead if you can store the messages in something like a PST (for example), only
evolution can prompt for the password and decrypt the file.

...at which point it becomes decrypted in memory taking up oodles of
space (and the admin can still read it in memory, he has that access)

It should also be possible to just copy the files to a new location for
recovery purposes. Files should not depend on a specific version or
installation of evolution. This is important since it is very easy to
develop a key when evolution starts first time and then use that key to
encrypt the mails, the problems are obvious with this method.

Check how groupwise stores its mails on the local machine. It does a very
good job of providing secure access to mails

it stores them in plain text last I looked.

in all, if you are worried about root reading your mail, you have larger
issues to deal with than this :)

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Stedfast