Re: [Evolution] Evolution 2.0.3 - no more MH-style maildirs?

I'm a Debian (Sarge) user, user of Evolution since approximately 1.0.X,
and just recently upgraded to 2.0.3.  While I like a lot of the changes,
I find that my mail folders are now all mailbox files (one big text
file, with associated index) instead of MH-style mail folders (a folder
with a bunch of separate text files).

I really wished to retain the individual text file method because I do a
lot of non-Evolution manipulation of my mail files (not the least of
which is a daily synchronization between my home system and one or more
remote systems).  I found it much faster for rsync to ship over a couple
of small files rather than parsing through a large single file for each
mailbox (I keep a lot of messages).  I also found it much easier to grep
my mail files if I wanted to check something while not in GUI-mode.

Any chance of returning to the 1.4.X style of user-choice in type of
mailbox file?

This is not an option any longer for the local folders ("On this
Computer"), which are used for POP3 accounts. The directory layout
changed, and (currently) mbox format is supported only.

However, there is a workaround:

Create a new Account with a Receiving Server type of "MH-format mail
directories". You can place your MH mail dir anywhere you want.

As you likely are using POP3 to retrieve your mail, leave that account
around for fetching mails. And create a Filter to move any incoming mail
to the MH Inbox file, if you want. (Use "Expression" "#t" as condition,
which simply is "true" to move all mails unconditionally.)

You may want to change the accounts Default Folders (like Sent) as well.

Another solution would be to run a (local) IMAP server that uses MH...

HTH

...guenther