Re: [Evolution] Re: Syncing Evolution

On Tue, 2005-02-08 at 17:25 -0500, Paul M. Bucalo wrote:
Thanks! I would never have known that. It never occurred to me that you
can have more than one set of 'rules'. I just thought all your rules go
in one file. Does the numbering of the rules file mean an order in which
it is being read?

Yes.  This is documented somewhere, but I can't find it now so it
obviously isn't documented well enough.

I guess its somewhere in
  http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev.html
  http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/udev/

which is hardly in the main system docs :-(

# cat /etc/udev/rules.d/10-udev.rules
KERNEL="ttyUSB1",SYMLINK="pilot"

My entry in /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules

KERNEL="ttyUSB[0-9]*",SYMLINK="pilot"
BUS="usb", KERNEL="ttyUSB[0-9]*", NAME="usb/%k"

The first one of those is very close to what I use:-
  KERNEL="ttyUSB1", SYSFS{product}="Palm Handheld", NAME="%k", SYMLINK="pilot"

which works for a Palm Tungsten C - these devices (and all PalmOS 5 and
probably PalmOS 4 devices) appear as 2 separate ttyUSB interfaces -
normally ttyUSB0 & ttyUSB1, and you talk to the second device.

Your rule would hit problems since there will be multiple matches all
symlinking to the same name - not sure what happens here.

However my rule falls down if you have more than one palm device
(actually yours will die in that case too), and/or if you have similar-
ish devices - for example I have a Pocket PC device which also takes up
a number of ttyUSB ports.

I think these issues are partly why there aren't default rules - there
are too many ways of making it all go wrong.

I'm considering changing to Multisync if I can get that going reasonably
well - the current gpilot situation seems to be being left to rot.

        Nigel.
--
[ Nigel Metheringham           Nigel Metheringham InTechnology co uk ]