Re: [Evolution] toolbar display text

On Mon, 2005-08-15 at 09:38 -0400, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
 The fact that they don't means there is an assumption that Gnome
is the desktop and the user will just click on the Gnome Control
Panel.

And what if the user prefers a system like TWM? What then? You're
assuming that the user runs either GNOME or KDE, but not everyone
does.

Actually I'm assuming the exact opposite. I'm not asking for special
treatment for KDE (though that's the desktop I use) or for any other
desktop. I'm saying that access to an app's configuration should be
available *from the app itself* (even if there is a desktop with a
separate control panel).

3) The Novell page on Evo
(http://www.novell.com/products/desktop/features/evolution.html)
does
not mention any dependance on the Gnome desktop.

it doesn't depend on GNOME to run, it just depends on the GNOME libs
and
uses system-wide GNOME settings (which can be set without the GNOME
desktop apps installed)

you can use gconftool-2 or gconf-editor to change settings.

So I don't see the problem with just calling them from Evo.

Asking an end-user to execute a Shell command (gconftool-2) to change
settings is simply not going to work (I know, I have a lot of them).

And using gconf-editor requires familiarity with the tree layout and a
fair amount of navigation to get to where the Evo settings are, with
lots of opportunities for shooting oneself in the foot on the way.

Does anyone on the Evo development team use a desktop other than
Gnome?

NotZed doesn't use GNOME

Glad to hear it (not that I have anything against Gnome).

poc