Re: [Evolution] Evolution backups with gmail

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 11:40 +0200, Kris Luyten wrote:
On 4/13/05, Ron Johnson <ron l johnson cox net> wrote:
On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 21:09 +0200, Kris Luyten wrote:
Hello,

I've used Evolution for several years now, and my local inbox is
getting pretty full, so I was looking for good way to backup my
emails.

That's what folders and filters are for.  I've got upwards of
50000 emails, but my Inbox only has 31 emails in it.

The same here: I meant just all the mails stored on my disk...

Remember, there's lots of programmers here, and Do What I Mean,
Not What I Say was beaten out of us long ago. ;)

[snip]

I don't want to backup them on a CD, but use gmail as a backup mechanism.

OK.

Here's an idea:
- back up ~/.evolution/mail/local/ !!!!!
- get gmailfs working (left as an exercise for the reader)
- create a folder and sub-folder
- mount gmail under the new ~/.evolution/mail/local/ folder and
  sub-foler (bit of cleverness needed here)
- recreate your folder tree under folder/sub-folder
- drag emails to the sub-folder tree

Unfortunately, the emails won't be accessible to gmail as regular
emails.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"What is politics but persuading the public to vote for this and
support that and endure these for the promise of those?"
Gilbert Highet