Re: [Evolution] Evolution 2.0

On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 14:13, Gerardo Marin wrote:
On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 15:47 -0400, Kelly J. Morris wrote:
On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 15:14, Gerardo Marin wrote:
Will 2.0 fix any or all of this?

At least the points really belonging to Evolution were addressed.

Gerardo - Thanks. Any suggestions about where I should go for 3 & 4,
especially 4?

Gerardo - Thanks for your reply.

About your Evolution performance: Sounds strange to me. I could get
those same symptoms by having a computer with too little RAM (128 MB) or
too little video memory (4 MB, even 8 MB) and opening and closing lots
of applications.
As I told you, I used to have a pretty decent performance using a slow
processor given enough memory (started well at 256 MB, no problems with
384, a charm with 512) and an old low end Riva TNT-2 video card (32 MB).
If you feel you have enough RAM and decent video in your computer you'll
have to dig a little more:

I'm running a Pentium IV, 2.8 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HD, and a GEFORCE4 64
MB DDR video card.

- What Evolution version are you using? (i.e. a lot of 1.2 memory leaks
were solved in 1.4, and more in 1.5/2.0)

v. 1.4.6

- Do other heavyweight applications behave the same? (i.e. Ooo)

Yes, including both oOo and Mozilla.

- Do you have many other processes eating CPU or memory? (top is your
friend).

Sorry - what's "top"?

- How did you install/build Evolution?

I downloaded XD2 with Evolution from a mirror site and update regularly
with Red Carpet.

- How large are your Evolution related files (mail, contacts, tasks)?

I work at home and rely heavily on Evolution, esp for mail (e.g. I
subscribe to 40+ lists and newsletters - each with its filter - and run
a couple of lists myself, etc.). My Ev files in /home/kelly/ are about
303 MB.

- How is your environment (i.e. swap space, paths)?

1 GB swap partition

- Does it happen all the time or only when certain operations are in
progress (like fetching mail over a slow connection) ?

Pretty much all the time. I've got cable Internet connection that's
always near the max whenever I measure it (2.9 megabits per second right
now at http://www.bandwidthplace.com/ ).

If you strongly feel that everything in your computer/network is ok,
feel free to file a bug report (I strongly suggest you to first try the
latest version before doing so, since only critical security fixes will
reach 1.4 branch once 2.0 is out).

I'll upgrade to 2.0 (next Monday?) and see how that goes.

Not sure, but hope this helps.

It does. Thanks.  Kelly Morris