Re: [Evolution] Evolution 2.0

On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 15:47 -0400, Kelly J. Morris wrote:
On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 15:14, Gerardo Marin wrote:
Will 2.0 fix any or all of this?

At least the points really belonging to Evolution were addressed.

Gerardo - Thanks. Any suggestions about where I should go for 3 & 4,
especially 4?

X Clipboard has been a problem since ages. You can see brief explanation
of why in http://freedesktop.org/Standards/ClipboardsWiki, other efforts
like GNOME clipboard manager have been discontinued, as you can see in
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2004-
March/msg00387.html and the follow-ups.

Not sure about other efforts/solutions at this point, you maybe can poke
around in gnome lists.

About your Evolution performance: Sounds strange to me. I could get
those same symptoms by having a computer with too little RAM (128 MB) or
too little video memory (4 MB, even 8 MB) and opening and closing lots
of applications.
As I told you, I used to have a pretty decent performance using a slow
processor given enough memory (started well at 256 MB, no problems with
384, a charm with 512) and an old low end Riva TNT-2 video card (32 MB).
If you feel you have enough RAM and decent video in your computer you'll
have to dig a little more:

- What Evolution version are you using? (i.e. a lot of 1.2 memory leaks
were solved in 1.4, and more in 1.5/2.0)
- Do other heavyweight applications behave the same? (i.e. Ooo)
- Do you have many other processes eating CPU or memory? (top is your
friend).
- How did you install/build Evolution?
- How large are your Evolution related files (mail, contacts, tasks)?
- How is your environment (i.e. swap space, paths)?
- Does it happen all the time or only when certain operations are in
progress (like fetching mail over a slow connection) ?

If you strongly feel that everything in your computer/network is ok,
feel free to file a bug report (I strongly suggest you to first try the
latest version before doing so, since only critical security fixes will
reach 1.4 branch once 2.0 is out).

Not sure, but hope this helps.

--
Gerardo Marin