Re: [Evolution] merging mails

On Mon, 2004-10-11 at 00:11 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 00:04 -0500, Fred Blaise wrote:
[snip]
You _do_ have control over it -- you can fetch mail from it with POP and
then do whatever you like with the mail. Since you claim to have one
machine permanently connected anyway, Ron was suggesting that you could
use that machine as an IMAP server, and have it fetch the mail from your
POP account automatically.

That's exactly what I was talking about.  To be more explicit,
here's the flow:
  fetchmail - gets an email from the POP server, and gives it to...
  postfix - an MTA, which calls...
  SpamAssassin - which scores the email and passes it back to...
  postfix - which then passes it to...
  maildrop - which puts it in the appropriate ~/Maildir folder.
  courier-imap is the imapd that handles Evo's IMAP requests.

Works like a champ.  Some people install fetchmail as a daemon,
but I put an entry in *my* (not root's) crontab that calls fetch-
mail every 5 minutes.  And put an entry in my wife's  crontab that
calls fetchmail every 6 minutes.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA
PGP Key ID 8834C06B

"We have heard much of the phrase, ''peace and friendship.'' This
phrase, in expressing the aspiration of America, is not complete.
We should say instead, ''peace and friendship, in freedom.''
This, I think, is America's real message to the rest of the
world."
Dwight D Eisenhower