Re: [Evolution] Evo Hang on Network Problems

On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 09:36, Dan McGinn-Combs wrote:
Sheesh... I don't want to start a round of "no it's not!", but I've
noticed a couple of times that if I experience even a slight hiccup in
the network, Evolution (1.45 on Gentoo 1.4-ish) croaks. I'm running in
IMAP against a Microsoft Exchange 2000 server and often connect on the
network directly and also over an obviously rickety PPTP VPN.

By croaks, I mean that it sits trying to retrieve a single message and
can't. If I click on another folder, it displays a blank screen and
never ever gets the headers back. Eventually, I see a message at the
bottom saying "pinging <servername>." In order to get things moving
again, I issue the "evolution --force-shutdown" command and restart.
Poof! everything is normal again.

Is there any way to avoid this? Ideally I could just connect to the
Exchange server periodically and download mail into a local file....
is that possible?

known issue... it *should* force a disconnect from the server if you hit
the Stop button in the toolbar or the Cancel button in the send&receive
dialog

and then changing folders once or twice should force a reconnect.
anyways, the imap code is in desperate need of a rewrite - there are a
number of places in the code that try to handle unexpected disconnects
but most them them all get it wrong and it's just too hard to fix.

so basically, if stop/cancel don't work, then you have to restart evo :\

I also note that if I use SpamAssassin as a filtering tool
(spamassassin -e) to identify and remove spam, it takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r
to cycle through new messages and remove them to the spam folder.
Would working from a file-based messaging database resolve this issue
as well?

no, the slowness here is like 100% spamassassin.

Jeff