Re: [Evolution] Evo Hang on Network Problems

On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 09:36 -0500, Dan McGinn-Combs wrote:
By croaks, I mean that it sits trying to retrieve a single message and
can't. If I click on another folder, it displays a blank screen and
never ever gets the headers back. Eventually, I see a message at the
bottom saying "pinging <servername>." In order to get things moving
again, I issue the "evolution --force-shutdown" command and restart.
Poof! everything is normal again.

Run Evolution from a terminal after setting CAMEL_VERBOSE_DEBUG=1, and
see precisely what it's actually saying to the IMAP server.

I also note that if I use SpamAssassin as a filtering tool
(spamassassin -e) to identify and remove spam, it takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r
to cycle through new messages and remove them to the spam folder.
Would working from a file-based messaging database resolve this issue
as well?

Probably not. Using spamc (and spamd) instead might help though. But
the best thing to do is have the mail scanned at _delivery_ time, before
being automatically put into either your inbox or your spam folder. That
way you _never_ have to wait for it, and unless you actually want to
look at your spam folder, there's never even any need to waste network
bandwidth looking at the headers of your spam.

--
dwmw2