Re: [Evolution] Hundreds of alarms

On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 20:21 -0700, Dwight Tovey wrote:
On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 19:52, Scott Bronson wrote:

This is a very good discussion.  I have one thought...

What if all alarms were displayed in a single window?

i.e. let's say I have 100 past-due appointments.  Popping up 100
windows is of course a disaster.  But, what if Evo popped up a single
window that listed all 100 alarms in a list box (or tree view or
some other way of listing lots of data)?  A single click on
the OK button and they're all gone.  No crashing window managers.  :)

Would this make everybody happy?

This wasn't the first time this solution has been suggested, and if I
understand Mr. Moya correctly, this is essentially the solution that has
been implemented in 1.5.x.  While this is certainly an improvement, I
still don't understand what would be so difficult about giving the user
the option to disable alarms that are more than some configurable amount
of time overdue.  But I guess I'm just a user here, not a developer on
this project.

as per the work involved on doing it, it's really easy. I'm just
wondering if it makes sense to add that config option, or if, better, we
can fix it for everyone in a better way.

That's why I ask people to try the 1.5.x way of alarm notification, and
try to find problems with it. But the most complained bug about 1.4
alarm notifications was the 100s of windows popping up at once. This has
been fixed.

cheers