Re: [Evolution] Hundreds of alarms

On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 16:30, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
I am only one of the developers, and of course, I don't have the final
word.

Yeah, I'm just acknowledging that I'm not a Ximian developer, so you
don't have to accept my feedback any more than you'd have to accept a
patch from me (although obviously, I hope you would accept either ;o)

in addition, I also sync my calendar with a palm PDA.  99.99% of the
time, I first get notified of an event by my PDA.  It's incredibly
annoying to be notified 3 more times, after the event has passed, the
next time I start up evolution on one of my other machines.

right, I understand the problem. But this can be solved in better ways
than having the config option you mention. We could make the file
backend remove the alarms that have been notified already, thus
preventing the alarms to pop up once on every machine.

1) How could the file backend possibly know that my PDA has already
notified me?

2) Given #1, this wouldn't change anything for my usage pattern.  I.e.
if I get notified (redundantly) on my laptop, then I sync my laptop's
~/evolution directory to the other machines, I already won't get
notified multiple times.  If I don't sync, the backend can't possibly
know that I've been notified on another machine, so I'll get redundantly
notified again.

so, you want to disable notifications globally, but still have
notifications for some events?

No, I don't want to affect the notification property of individual
events.  Rather, I simply want to tell a particular instance of
evolution to not display event reminders.  For example, it'd be nice if
I could tell the evolution running on my workstation(s) to ignore the
"reminder" properties of events, and to never notify me of anything.
Yet I don't want this setting to modify the reminder properties of
individual events (so that I'll still get notifications on my PDA and
laptop, for example).  Does that make sense?

Cheers!
--
Brett Johnson <brett hp com>
   -  i  n  v  e  n  t  -