Re: [Evolution] Arbitrary command on Send/Receive (was Custom icons on toolbar)

On Sat, 2003-05-03 at 01:41, Andy Cedilnik wrote:
What I would like is a way to run fetchmail from evolution. What would
be really cool is to actually have a button that would run fetchmail.
So, in most cases I would just use regular message retrieval, but
sometimes I need to check e-mail that is on the way right away.

Andy then went on to describe how he thought having custom icons that
hooked to whatever (panel style) would be a more general solution to the
problem. Ross Burton pointed out that that's what the panel is for.

I'd like to re-raise the original subject though, in a slightly
different way. As Tony Ernshaw pointed out, that Evolution's IMAP code
is weak against anything other than Courier is a "known issue". Great.
As a result, some of us have taken to using solutions like fetchmail or
offlineimap or mailsync/maildirsync to bring mail in, instead of relying
on the POP3/IMAP transport built into Evolution.

What I'd really like to see is the ability to run that arbitrary command
hooked into the Send/Receive (F9) command. If it were linked to a
certain account, the Evolution could run the fetching command on demand.
Myself, my only account these days is a local Maildir hierarchy (which
is populated by offlineimap); I'd love to be able to run offlineimap on
demand by hitting F9 and running Send/Receive.

I can think of some UI objections, notably that the nice progress bars
of the send receive dialog wouldn't be effective, but I would settle for
a barber stripe "Working"...

Is it feasible to hook a command into an account (say a Local Mail
account) like this? I've been thinking about it, but recognize that the
learning curve is steep.

AfC

--
Andrew Frederick Cowie
Operational Dynamics Consulting Pty Ltd

Australia +61 2 9977 6866  North America +1 646 270 5376

andrew operationaldynamics com au