Re: [Evolution] Trashed my Evo installation

guenther wrote:

I repaired everything but Evo (it's looking for things I can't find.). I now have 2 completely different gtk+ versions available in parallel, gtk+-2.2.1 and gtk+-1.2.10-ximian.31. I can choose which I want for compiles - I much prefer gtk+-2.2.1, it's faster and prettier.

I believe, Evolution 1.2.x needs the gtk+-1.2 libraries.

The 2.2 stuff is all in /usr/local, the 1.2 in /usr. However, the gtk install needed a lot of supporting libraries, including a new glib. Making and installing an rpm for this wiped out the old glib.

What are the error messages?
Have you tried with debugging enabled?

Got a bit further this morning, yes. Running evolution-mail and evolution-addressbook from a term as myself (strace SO to a file and lessing) showed the new glib playing up. Relevant bits:

getuid32()                              = 500 (500 is uid tonye)

connect(3, {sin_family=AF_UNIX, path="/var/run/.nscd_socket"}, 110) = -1 ECONNREFUSED (Connection refused)

write(2, "getpwuid_r(): failed due to: No "..., 46getpwuid_r(): failed due to: No such user 500.) = 46

I started nscd but it's is not viable to run nscd on my machine, since it ruins ldap searches after a while. However, evolution-mail started up then. But evolution-addressbook and calendar don't start up - I'm left with no ldap or contact folders.

Doing ldd on the Evo binaries show clearly that it's found and is using the new glib.

I might say that no other utilities but xmms (which now gives a segv fault) has any problems, but a couple I had to recompile. I compiled a new xmms and supporting libs, but it didn't help.

I had to get Mozilla 1.3b working for mail PDQ (filters and all), all my mail is in IMAP anyway, so I'm none the worse off.

Mozilla 1.3 (final) ist released for weeks, 1.4 beta is current. ;-)

Probably. I have a dialup connection and have to ration myself.

Having got this far, I don't really want to get back to where I was. What I'd like to do, is have a go at compiling Evo 1.3. Is this reasonably possible for mortals? Could Guenther please comment?

For the split of a second I could see a glow enlightening the room, as
my karma grows and all the mysteries of the universe suddenly became so
clear to me... ;-)

The mystery of the Universe was revealed many years ago by Douglas Adams. For the rest, I know what you are capable of and we know each other :-)

Sorry Tony, never tried compiling Evolution myself. I always wanted to,
seems like a reasonable start.

Have you considered giving the RH 8.0 packages a shot, as your 7.2 box
is highly updated? (seems to be the first RH system with 1.3.92 RPMs)
 ftp://ftp.ximian.com/pub/ximian-evolution-beta/redhat-80-i386

No. A lot of the RH 8 stuff would fail on Gnome and KDE dependencies.

 Why is RH 7.2 so important to you, if I may ask?

I have a stable notebook with an awful lot of Internet server stuff on it that I have to demonstrate. If I were to install from new, a: it would take weeks, and b: I'd insist on a new machine to do it on. then it would be RH 9, with all the problems that gives.

Thanks, Guenther!

Tony

--
Tony Earnshaw

There's none so daft as them as will not learn

http://www.billy.demon.nl
Mail: tonni billy demon nl