Re: [Evolution] Trashed my Evo installation

What are the error messages?
Have you tried with debugging enabled?

Got a bit further this morning, yes. Running evolution-mail and
evolution-addressbook from a term as myself (strace SO to a file
and lessing) showed the new glib playing up. Relevant bits:

getuid32()                              = 500 (500 is uid tonye)

connect(3, {sin_family=AF_UNIX, path="/var/run/.nscd_socket"},
110) = -1 ECONNREFUSED (Connection refused)

write(2, "getpwuid_r(): failed due to: No "..., 46getpwuid_r():
failed due to: No such user 500.) = 46

No such user?

Hopefully someone who already compiled Evo 1.3.92 on his own can speak
up. I am afraid, I won't be too much of help for you...

I had to get Mozilla 1.3b working for mail PDQ (filters and all), all my
mail is in IMAP anyway, so I'm none the worse off.

Mozilla 1.3 (final) ist released for weeks, 1.4 beta is current. ;-)

Probably. I have a dialup connection and have to ration myself.

Very good point. Dial up, poor Tony. DSL flatrate here, download doesn't
bother me... :-)

Having got this far, I don't really want to get back to where I was.
What I'd like to do, is have a go at compiling Evo 1.3. Is this
reasonably possible for mortals? Could Guenther please comment?

For the split of a second I could see a glow enlightening the room, as
my karma grows and all the mysteries of the universe suddenly became so
clear to me... ;-)

The mystery of the Universe was revealed many years ago by
Douglas Adams. For the rest, I know what you are capable of and
we know each other :-)

Sure, and I would love to help more.

Unfortunately, that's some of the books I always wanted to read. You
don't wanna know, how much unread books are wasting space right beside
me -- neither do I. Maybe I can catch up a little bit the next week,
while I am forced offline...

Sorry Tony, never tried compiling Evolution myself. I always wanted to,
seems like a reasonable start.

Have you considered giving the RH 8.0 packages a shot, as your 7.2 box
is highly updated? (seems to be the first RH system with 1.3.92 RPMs)
 ftp://ftp.ximian.com/pub/ximian-evolution-beta/redhat-80-i386

No.  A lot of the RH 8 stuff would fail on Gnome and KDE
dependencies.

Think, you are right. Although you really should blame RH for Evolution
dependencies on KDE... ;-)

 Why is RH 7.2 so important to you, if I may ask?

I have a stable notebook with an awful lot of Internet server
stuff on it that I have to demonstrate. If I were to install from
new, a: it would take weeks, and b: I'd insist on a new machine
to do it on. then it would be RH 9, with all the problems that gives.

What about a second partition for your working environment besides the
demo system?

Thanks, Guenther!

You're welcome, every time again...

...guenther