Re: Piping message (was: Re: [Evolution] Any advice on Antivirus software...)

On Mon, 2003-07-21 at 20:36, Norman P. B. Joseph wrote:

I wish there -were- a mechanism for piping messages to arbitrary command
lines.  I'd love to be able to set up a button or menu list representing
"sa-learn" commands and apply them to one or more messages.

As it stands, I have to open a terminal window, run "sa-learn --spam
--single" (which will read from stdin), open the message in a separate
window (unless I want to change the default view for -all- my folders),
go to "View -> Message Display -> Show E-mail Source", select the entire
message (can't even use ^A), paste it into the terminal window with a
right-click, optionally terminate the last line with a carriage return,
then hit ^D in the terminal window.  Feh.  Maybe the "|" command in elm
spoiled me.  :)

I've been reading up on sa-learn, and your way seems to be much more
complex than necessary. Why not just save the messages in question (they
get saved with all their headers) to a file, and then just do:

sa-learn --[ham|spam] --file message.txt

If you get enough false positives and negatives then why not move or
copy as appropriate the messages to a ham folder and a spam folder and
then set up a daily cron job to run:

sa-learn --ham --mbox ~/evolution/local/Ham/mbox
sa-learn --spam --mbox ~/evolution/local/Spam/mbox

sa-learn will ignore the messages it's already seen, and anyway you
could delete the contents of each folder everyday after the cron job has
run.

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren dzr-web com          www.dzr-web.com