Re: [Evolution] Evolution 2.0 UI proposal

good afternoon,

some thoughts and comments on the proposed changes:

* like most, I'd enthusiastically support killing the shortcut bar. I never use it and find it pretty ugly to look at -- in OL or Evo. Your screenshots begin to suggest a more interesting way to handle the basic problem.

* I also support, a little more reluctantly, killing the summary page. I really like the idea, but never use it in practice. As mentioned previously, the calendar and task views aren't that useful. the email view doesn't do anything for me at all.  One thing that I would love to see, though, would be an embedded RSS viewer. I really dig the idea of doing RSS feed viewing in Evo (similar to how others used to use mail programs for news groups). However, for that feature to be useful, it wouldn't link to a web browser, but be an RSS program in its own right, similar to Straw. However, if Ximian is looking to reduce Evo's compexity, then I suspect this wouldn't be a desirable change.

* in the next UI design, would you consider being able to toggle between Evo's current 3 pane layout into one similar to the proposed Outlook 2003? In as much
as I use preview pane, I actually like the larger fully vertical preview pane layout
design that MS is using. I'd suggest it as an optional toggle, rather than a de facto
layout change.

* is it safe to assume that each of your new buttons will pull up full enumerations of each of the sources for each application? namely, that the mail button pull up all of your mail accounts. calendar pull up all your calendars. contacts pulls up all of you contact sources. As long as a full enumeration of all accounts is consistent across all of those apps, the new button navigation looks like it'd be a pretty graceful design. (it looks like your screen shots suggests this, but I wanted to be certain).

* the To: and CC: fields should be to search and auto-complete against the default Contact source, similar to Outlook (rather than always having to use the search
function).

* how viable would it be to create a Global Address Book browser for the
Ximian Connector?

* as someone else has mentioned, a real Notes/Memo editor program would
be lovely. ;-)

* Ettore just beat me to another request, arbitrary order for the folders, rather than hard-coded alphabetical order. my default mail account is always towards the bottom of the nav bar because of the alphabetical ordering. this is also an irritation w/ vfolders, you create them because you want easy to use/prominent sorting/reordering/aggregation, and then they get stuck down at the bottom of the nav bar.

* this is a more dramatic feature request than just UI (but I'm on a roll), have you considered DAV-enabling Evolution or Ximian Connector to be able to work w/ the forth-coming Sharepoint integration of Outlook/Exchange? Another nice feature
in Outlook XP/2003 (that is very specific to an Exchange environment) is the
ability to schedule Meetings that are Exchange Conference Server-enabled (online meetings that can book against Conference Server resources. w/ RTC supplanting some of the Conference Server functionality, this may a harder issue to figure out.

* Last, ensuring that Ximian Connector will continue to work w/ Exchange 2003's
revised MAPI architecture and MS's own implementation of RPC-over-HTTP.

jeff