Re: [Evolution] Evolution 2.0 UI proposal

Wow! These look great.

My comments echo some of those from the other users:

1. Option to have vertical preview pane, like Outlook 2003.

2. Some way of organizing 'favorite' folders so they are easy to get to
(currently using shortcut bar)

3. Categories of contacts sync'ed to Palm categories.

And here are some feature requests that I haven't seen mentioned (not
quite directly related to the GUI designs you provided, but would be
great features):

1. Ability to drag-and-drop items at least between task lists, and
better, between particular types. Outlook has supported this for years,
and is the single biggest Outlook feature I miss:

  -- you can drag a task, or an email to the calendar to create an
appointment with the body of the task/email in the event description
 -- you can drag a contact to the calendar to create a meeting request
 -- you can drag a calendar item to the task list

In my current time management system, I'm moving stuff between two
different task lists and my calendar all the time. I use categories as
well, but to just move a task from one task folder to another, I have to
completely re-enter the task!

2. Better support for multiple categories. In Outlook, if you list an
item in multiple categories, it shows up in each category. In Evolution,
the item shows up in a single category named as the entire list of
categories. For example, if I add "Business, Reference" to the
Categories of a contact, and then go to a view that groups by
categories, the contact isn't listed in "Business" or in
"Reference"--it's only in "Business, Reference".

To go along with this, in Outlook you can drag an item in such a view
from one category to another, and the new category is added to the
item--the old category stays. If you delete an item in such a list, it
only deletes the category from the item.

3. Ability to insert a signature at the cursor, instead of always at the
end of an email.

Anyway, thanks for such a great product. I use Evolution as my primary
email client, mainly because IMAP in Outlook is pretty much unusable,
and Evolution in comparison is flawless...

Cheers,
--
John Locke
http://freelock.com