Re: [Evolution] Evolution 2.0 UI proposal

* I also support, a little more reluctantly, killing the summary page.
I really like the idea, but never use it in practice. As mentioned
previously, the calendar and task views aren't that useful. the email
view doesn't do anything for me at all.  One thing that I would love
to see, though, would be an embedded RSS viewer. I really dig the idea
of doing RSS feed viewing in Evo (similar to how others used to use
mail programs for news groups). However, for that feature to be
useful, it wouldn't link to a web browser, but be an RSS program in
its own right, similar to Straw. However, if Ximian is looking to
reduce Evo's compexity, then I suspect this wouldn't be a desirable
change.

For 2.0 we want to make a better effort at documenting the interfaces
needed to create components, and the architecture itself is going to be
much simpler.

So while we are probably not going to invest time into writing a nicely
integrated RSS feed viewer, other people could easily write one.
(However, it might make more sense as a stand-alone application than as
part of Evolution.)

* in the next UI design, would you consider being able to toggle
between Evo's current 3 pane layout into one similar to the proposed
Outlook 2003?

Yeah, this has come up a number of times, and it's definitely something
that would be nice to have.  It's not too hard to implement either...
Of course it depends on time and resources, as usual.

* is it safe to assume that each of your new buttons will pull up full
enumerations of each of the sources for each application?

Yes.

* the To: and CC: fields should be to search and auto-complete against
the default Contact source, similar to Outlook (rather than always
having to use the search
function).

Hm, I think that's already supposed to work?

* how viable would it be to create a Global Address Book browser for
the
Ximian Connector?

We already support the Global Address List.

* this is a more dramatic feature request than just UI (but I'm on a
roll), have you considered DAV-enabling Evolution or Ximian Connector
to be able to work w/ the forth-coming Sharepoint integration of
Outlook/Exchange?

At this time, we don't have any plans regarding Sharepoint.

* Last, ensuring that Ximian Connector will continue to work w/
Exchange 2003's
revised MAPI architecture and MS's own implementation of
RPC-over-HTTP.

Yeah, Connector will work with the new Exchange.

-- Ettore