Re: [Evolution] Spamassassin 2.50 ...

Le jeu 20/02/2003 à 17:36, Tony Earnshaw a écrit :
... has been released, 15:50 CET, for those using SA.

For the record: My standard MUA is Evo 1.2.1, secondary is Horde Imp CVS
- both with uw-IMAP 2002b and Exim smtp 4.12. Yes, Linux/Gnome 1.4.

For the great unwashed, I've been using 2.50-CVS since Sept. last year
and with Bayes analysis since mid Jan. last. And it's absolutely
fantastic.

Mind you, my solution's an MTA solution, Exim 4.12 with SA-Exim built in
(actually a shared *.so library) to the Exim binary.

Although Sendmail, Postfix, Qmail and Procmail solutions are available
for the unwashed. There are even M$ Windows possibilities.

I have my e-post address everywhere, so spam and shitty MS executables
are increasing at an exponential rate. My reaction is British English
"two horns to the devil," US English "middle finger up."

I almost never get to read spam sent to me, nor receive MS viruses.
They're mostly refused with an smtp 550 at data time, but with a trigger
higher than the "define-as-spam points." Any spam or viruses that pass
the smtp trigger, Exim's own filter catches and files/writes to the mail
spool either for consenting adults or the sysadmin.

2.50 plusses over 2.43/2.44, according to Justin Mason - one of its
pappas:

- Bayesian filtering, using a Bayesian-style form of probability-
  analysis classification.  This uses an algorithm based on the one
  detailed in Paul Graham's 'A Plan For Spam' paper, along with aspects
  taken from Graham Robinson's work, and the chi-combining technique
  developed by the SpamBayes project.

- Auto-learning.  This trains the Bayesian filter automatically, based
  on the results from traditional SpamAssassin diagnosis.   It uses a
  set of heuristics and separate thresholds to ensure (as much as is
  possible) that it trains on guaranteed non-spam and spam. Old, unused
  tokens are automatically expired.

- much-improved rule set.  A whole new set of rules based on Message-Id
  analysis is now in place, which accurately detects forged headers from
  a wide range of spamware.   Many inaccurate rules have been dropped.
  HTML tests much improved, with a set to detect image-only spam.

- new default format for detected-spam messages; the message is
  encapsulated as a MIME part, with a preview and the spam report
  in the main part of the message.

- Score sets.  Based on whether you are using just SpamAssassin rules,
  adding network tests, and using a trained Bayesian database,
  SpamAssassin will use a set of scores appropriately to gain the
  maximum degree of accuracy.

- Italian, Polish, Spanish, French and German rule sets and
  translations.

- Much improved reliability with spamd.  The problems with signals
  have been cleared up thanks to a pipe-based child tracking system,
  and all spamd-hanging bugs reported have proved unreproducable.

- Unicode problems with Red Hat 8 and perl 5.8 fixed.   Works on Perl
  5.005, 5.6.x, and 5.8.x.

- Taint-safe.  SpamAssassin runs with perl's taint-checking enabled for
  better security.

- Razor 1 support is now officially deprecated.

- "spamc -c" was not working, fixed.  This fix required increasing the
  revision of the spamd protocol; only difference is that now more than
  one protocol header can appear in the reply from spamd.

Best,

Tony

For those who were hesitating to do the jump from 2.43 to 2.50 or to
start using spamassasin...

I've been running Spamassassin 2.50 and, although it's supposed to be
more or less beta, it works very well! I previously try to use a
combination of Spamassassin 2.43 and Bogofilter to filter my flow of
100-200 spams/day. But it was never satisfactory. Never managed to train
bogofilter properly. Bogo always got a lot of false positives. I found
that the new Spamassassin with Bayesian filters is quite able to take of
the job all by itself. If it could just be integrated in a future
version of Evolution... ;-)

--
Philippe