Re: [Evolution] Spamassassin 2.50 ...

cheers();

In the course of upgrading from 2.20 to 2.50, I read the following note
in the INSTALL file:

        Important Note For Users Upgrading From Earlier Versions

        SpamAssassin no longer includes code to handle local mail
        delivery, as it
        was not reliable enough, compared to procmail.  So now, if you
        relied on
        spamassassin to write the mail into your mail folder, you'll
        have to
        change your setup to use procmail as detailed below.

        If you used spamassassin to filter your mail and then something
        else wrote
        it into a folder for you, then you should be fine.

I did not use procmail with my 2.20 setup and am not using it now.  As
my MUA, Evolution checks and downloads mail from my ISP's POP server.
My SpamAssassin setup is to use a spamd/spamc with the -c option which
returns a 1 if the message is spam or a 0 if not.  I have an Evolution
filter set up to pipe incoming messages to spamc -c, and if it returns a
1, to move those messages to a "spam" folder.

Everything seems to be continuing to work fine, though I haven't a clue
whether my setup in any way depends on SpamAssassin "to handle local
mail delivery".  Do I need to change my setup?

Nope. If understand that note correct, that is only necessary, when
spamassassin really moves mails around.

As you are just checking the return value and leaving the moving to a
spam folder, spamassassin only checks.

...guenther