Re: [Evolution] Dictionaries

On Wed, 2003-02-12 at 18:32, guenther wrote:
greetings();

Personally I will switch to 1.2.1 until this matter is resolved.  I need
to switch languages frequently.

Having 2 languages at the same time really is no option for you?

Well I suppose I'll try it for a few days.  I just saw that the "Spell
Check Document" action suggests words in the 2 languages.  My initial
reticence (is that an English word?) was that I could make errors by
writing a word the English way instead of the French way.  I have no
examples now but they'll come up I'm sure.

Yep, 'reticence' is an English word -- although I had to look it up. ;)

About the problem with the similar words in different languages: I have
thought a little bit about that some days ago, as it came up first. Was
a discussion in this threat with Anna. (Anna, are you listening?)

I come across those sometimes (de/en) but it seems, they are almost only
with real short words (up to 3 chars) and have a different meaning most
of the time.

I don't think, thats getting a real problem, unless you enable all
languages... ;)  I am willing to take that problem, when I can have more
than one language at one time.

From my experience that's a problem, specially in none technical
settings.  If I write a German business mail, I don't want English mixed
in.  Which I sometimes do even after "proof" reading, and if both
languages are enabled the spell checker doesn't catch it.  Even if the
receiving entity speaks English it can be a bit of a problem. So for
business email, none tech, I absolutely prefer _1_ language for the
spell checker.  Which should be easy to select from the edit menu,
therefore no 1.2.2 for me, except after I port the 1.2.1 behavior
forward.
Just my 2c,
Ronald

Another problem I have is that if you add a word to THE dictionary it
will be added to ALL the dictionaries used at that time.  Unless we can
choose which dictionary to add the word to that's no good.

Didn't have used that before. But as you mentioned OOo (or the Office of
your choice) there has to be a dictionary chooser available to store new
words.

btw: Having another (third) dictionary with 'your' words would be a
really good decision.

By own experience: Writing about special sports (rowing) or your local
neighborhood needs words, not found in any dictionary. And you can take
that 'personal' dictionary with you, when upgrading the system or at
least the dictionary.

Are those options to consider support?

...guenther