Re: [Evolution] question on trash vfolders

On Thu, 2003-04-24 at 19:08, Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper wrote:

*sigh*  This is confusing trying to explain.  I feel like Dr. Evil,
making the double-quote signs with my hands every other word.  =:)

So, to summarize, my problems:

1) I'm not able to explain this clearly.  =:)

2) I have 2 vfolders called Trash in my evolution tree hierarchy--one
under evolution's default "Local Folders" node and the second under my
Maildir tree.

3) when I delete mail, it shows up in the Trash vfolder showing up
underneath my local Maildir tree, not in the Trash vfolder that is part
of evolution's default "Local Folders" branch on the tree.

4) when I do Actions | Empty Trash, the Trash vfolder underneath my
local Maildir tree does not get emptied.

To me, this seems like broken behavior, since I would expect "Empty
Trash" to iterate through ALL trash vfolders and expunge deleted
messages from each.

OK, now it's clear what you were asking =)

The 'Trash' folder in your Maildir tree is just another folder as far as
Evolution is concerned.  The vFolder "Trash" is where all messages that
Evo "deletes" end up.  They're not really deleted until you do
Actions->Expunge in each folder those messages came from, or
Actions->Empty Trash to clear the whole thing.

If you use another client, or (like I do), a webmail program like
Squirrelmail, you either see all the "deleted" messages in your Inbox
(though all programs I know of do indicate they are marked for
deletion), or they get automatically wiped out as soon as you open your
Inbox in the other program.

The latter situation occurs when I check my mail via the web, so I
rarely (need to) empty my trash manually.  If I realize too late I
deleted a message I want to recover, well... it's TOO LATE and that's
just the way it is.  Squirrelmail politely allows me to tell it where to
put my trash, then stores all deleted messages there.

Ooops, sorry... I was about to start ranting there.  Anyway, it's all
been ranted about before, and hopefully once the Ximian folks have time
to work on new features, they'll support this very popular option as
well.

Dunno, if that really helps...

Well, I'm at least tired, shagged out, and ready for bed now.  =:)

Thanks for your reply, guenther!  btw, I can't tell from your e-mail
account if you're a helpful user or a ximian developer.  Just curious.

He's just really helpful.  More so than me, in fact. I left your
original message marked 'unread' hoping to get around to answering it
myself, but I doubt I would have until you clarified things =)

Eric

--
I have nothing against the American people...
...but it is time for a regime change