Re: [Evolution] Evolution 1.2RC1 report

On Sun, 2002-11-03 at 14:46, Lonnie Borntreger wrote:
On Sun, 2002-11-03 at 13:03, fejj peabody ximian com wrote:
On Sun, Nov 03, 2002 at 02:06:20PM +0100, arthur.chereau wrote:
- With imap folders containing lots of mails, it still takes some
time (1 minute for some folders) before one can see the mail list
the first time the folder is opened after evolution is started
(evolution says "Opening folder ..."). I don't see this
problem with other MUA. I thought the "faster indexer" would solve
that, but it didn't.

imap folder loading is roughly 3x times as fast as it was in 1.0.8 and
it can't get much (if any) faster. There's a certain amount of network
traffic that we *must* do, and that is what is causing the slowness
(well, most of it - etable rendering is the other).

Would it be possible to make the imap access to not operate in a
"blocking" fashion.  For example, now if I happen to select a message
for viewing while the imap "checking for mail" access is occuring, it
will not show the message contents until the imap access is complete.
This is also true of initial folder viewing.  While it would not speed
up the imap access, it would provide a "feel" of faster response.

Just wondering....

it *is* done in another thread :-)

Jeff

--