Re: [Evolution] Re: [Evolution] Evolution 1.2RC1 report

On Sun, 2002-11-03 at 17:41, arthur.chereau wrote:
imap folder loading is roughly 3x times as fast as it was in 1.0.8 and
it can't get much (if any) faster. There's a certain amount of network
traffic that we *must* do, and that is what is causing the slowness
(well, most of it - etable rendering is the other).

Would it be possible to make the imap access to not operate in a
"blocking" fashion.  For example, now if I happen to select a message
for viewing while the imap "checking for mail" access is occuring, it
will not show the message contents until the imap access is complete.
This is also true of initial folder viewing.  While it would not speed
up the imap access, it would provide a "feel" of faster response.

Exactly. Checking mail "in the background" would solve this problem. The user should be
able to go to another folder while checking mail, or read old mails in the folder.
Mozilla mail is still far better than evolution on this point.

all imap operations are done in another thread "in the background".

but the way IMAP works is that you can only be looking at one folder at
a time. Therefor your gonna have to wait.

The only possible solution is to open multiple connections and that is
just not possible (nor easy to change) with the current code base. We
have plans to completely rewrite the IMAP support but we need time,
which is something we don't have.

- I followed the threads about imap trash and I thought the problems would be solved
with 1.1.90. But the way evolution handles imap accounts still doesn't seem natural:
there are 2 trashes (the imap one and the evolution one - that could confuse
newcomers),

how will it confuse them? there is a local trash for local folders and
an imap trash for the imap folders. every other client does ti this way
too.

I think he's talking about a different situation.  Evolution uses a
vfolder for trash, right?  Other MUAs (Mozilla, for example) use a
"real" imap folder for trash called Trash.  So if you access imap
account using Mozilla, it will create a "Trash" folder in your defined
imap namespace,  Then access imap account using Evolution, you will see
the Evolution vfolder called Trash, as well as the "real" folder called
Trash that Mozilla created.

That's it. Why would someone want to have 2 trashes ? I use IMAP because I want to
access all my folders from everywhere, and this includes the trash folder. Then I want
all the mails I delete to go to the IMAP trash folder. I don't see what benefit someone
could have from a vfolder trash with an IMAP account. I prefer waiting 1 second for the
move than being unable to retrieve a deleted mail when I'm not at home.

feel free to send us a patch then.

Since the Evolution imap trash folder is a vfolder (doesn't really move
anything), you get the same effect by selecting "hide deleted" and then
you only see deleted mail by selecting the trash folder.

I know, but this doesn't move the mails to the IMAP trash folder.

if all the clients had implemented Mark Crispin's dream for deleted
messages in IMAP, everyone would be doing it the same way Evolution does
it.

That said, there is a feature request to support physical Trash folders.
We'll get around to it one of these years.

- When a folder is sorted "Ascending", evolution should by default go to the
bottom of
the mail list, because it's where newer mails are.

I agree, but it's a minor annoyance.  I'm just used to grabbing the
scroll bar and moving to the end of the list.

Of course it's not a critical bug, but it's an annoying and visible bug. I know many
people that use evolution and mozilla. They all complain about this bug (should be
fixed in mozilla mail soon).

I don't consider this a bug at all. Lists *ALWAYS* start at the top and
work down.

If you want it to work differently, you are free to change it (it's open
source after all).

- It would be great to have an option to propagate the From/Subject/Date/... column
widths to all the folders. When one has dozens of folders, it's a pain to change the
widths in each folder.

this is already implemented. View->Current View and edit stuff.

Ok, I can define a view. But I can't say "apply it to all the folders in this account".
That's what's missing.

No it's not. Save the config into "Message View" and it will
auto-magically be applied to all folders set to use that view.

- It would be nice to have an option making evolution word wrap plain text mails at a
specified column.

what column do you want it to wrap at and why? the composer currently
wraps at 72 (which is the standard).

Sorry, I was not precise. I meant word wrapping when _reading_ mail. Some mails I
receive are not wrapped and it's a pain to read them.

There's no reason to do this, let the mailer wrap at the screen width.

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Stedfast
Evolution Hacker - Ximian, Inc.