Re: [Evolution] IMAP Connections ...

On Tue, 2002-07-09 at 09:28, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
This supports what notzed said, he didn't necessarily mean checking it
manually. auto-check works too.

Jeff

On Mon, 2002-07-08 at 19:25, Jean-Marc V. Liotier wrote:
On Mon, 2002-07-08 at 10:05, Not Zed wrote:
On Tue, 2002-07-09 at 01:17, Ettore Perazzoli wrote:

I guess what I meant was: shouldn't we still be sending NOOPs, but with
new, non-buggy code?

[..] for *most* users, just checking their mail every
now and then works.

I object : from observation of about a hundred users (20% power users /
80% peons) I can say that most of them have their client configured to
check mail about once every one to fifteen minutes. Such short times
between POP or IMAP sessions may seem abusive, but that's the actual
practice. And visual checking of the inbox by the user is
quasi-permanent for about two third of the users : their desktop
actually revolves around their MUA (Outlook in 90% of the cases, sadly).

Yep, thats what i meant actually.  Most users have it setup to check
often enough that the connection never times out, so sending a noop
isn't required.

Its always those 1% of users that require the extra 10% of code tho.