Re: [Evolution] Reading threads

On Sun 10 Feb 2002 at 14:03, Stephen Witkop wrote:
I think the proper behavior would be to not re-sort the message list
every time a mail is deleted or moved when viewing mails threaded. Maybe
wait until the user either changes to another view or closes and
restarts evo.
I agree.  Sorting should wait for the user to manually select one of the sorting options (From, Sent, Received, Size, etc.).  There's no reason to place such a high priority on re-sorting since most of the sorting options are likely not going to be very useful anyway as long as you're viewing threads.  In other words, only the Subject column actually sorts properly while viewing threads (as long as a thread's subject header hasn't been renamed).

In connection with this re-sorting problem, it's quite inconvenient for a selected/highlighted line in the message list to entirely disappear from view (because of re-sorting) after you delete/move a message in a thread.  I think it's desirable for the highlighted line to always remain in the same position in the window as you yourself place it.  Only deliberate manual scrolling should change this position.

In the same way, if my Inbox folder is selected but I scroll it down off the screen so that I can drag messages to a folder that's much higher up in the Folder Bar, then I expect the Inbox folder to stay where I put it and not to be jumping back into view after the move,thereby scrolling my destination folder out of view again.

Well, I guess I'm moving to a different topic than reading threads, but it all seems connected.  In any case, I do love Evolution.  Sincere thanks to all responsible!

Charles