[Evolution] Reading threads

Folks,

        can someone help me.

        I am a great fan of evolution but there are a couple of minor nags
including this one;

        I am unable to open the top mail in a thread and then move sequentially
through that thread by either deleting the current mail or pressing 'n'
or clicking on the right-arrow.  Nine times out of ten I'm taken to a
totally different email totally unrelated to the current thread I'm
reading.

        Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Jim