Re: [Evolution] LDAP Address Book Setup

On Thu, 2002-08-15 at 07:14, Sean M Alderman wrote:
Speaking of Shell Scripting for LDAP pasting into a To/CC field, I had
mentioned this a long time ago...pre 1.0 days, that a nice feature
enhancement would be to allow for external address sources like shell
scripts to be incorporated.  Perhaps some kind of Addressbook Plugin
architecture where Evo/Ximian tells developers what it will send the
plugin (from a contact search or completion attempt) and people with
other types of Directories...(x.500, finger, phonebook)... can write a
plugin to use those as their addressbook source.  But, either no one
thought it was a good idea, or they thought it wasn't important enough.

The addressbook already supports extensible backend types, there are 4
available at the moment, 2 ship with evolution in source form.

There *is* a lack of documentation regarding the api used, but I'd be
more than happy to answer any questsions people have about the PAS api
if someone expresses an interest in writing an additional backend type.

Chris