Re: [Evolution] LDAP Address Book Setup

ons, 2002-08-14 kl. 12:40 skrev Tong Eng Chiah:

 i'm using it.
works fine.

No it doesn't! Even if people do as you say.

1: There's no ldaps possibility (e.g. one can change the port, but not
the service/protocol and TLS certificate verification);

2: and there's no Address list possibility - as there is in disk-based
Evo "Contacts" - even given that you're using ldap objectClass
EvolutionPerson and evolutionPersonList on your ldap server, which only
source people know about anyway, because the binary rpm people - like me
- don't even *know* about the Evolution schema. Without being told by
people like Adam Williams.

just need to key in the LDAP server hostname and a search base
what problems u facing?

The above. I have Openldap 2.1.3/Berkeley 4.0 BDB running on my Compaq
Presario Evo notebook cum server and do TLS/ldaps for everything that
I'm able to. Ditto TLS pop3 and TLS SMTP. Evo falls far short. I know
it's being worked on, but nobody should think that 1.x is anywhere near
good, yet. Moreover, using your own ldap server as a source for names
for your message composer "to" contacts list needs special ldap indexing
on your server.

Everything that Evo (my chosen client, since Mozilla 1.0 makes no
pretention of ever being an Exchange client contender), doesn't do at
the moment, Mozilla 1.0 *does*. Properly. Without being an Exchange
client contender, that is.

And I'm neither a new Evo user nor Openldap user.

Anybody using a LDAP connection as address book? Somehow I have problems
to set that up. Posted the problem twice already, but it seems I put a
stamp on it that says "please ignore" :-) I would be really glad if
somebody can help me solving the problem.
</izzy>

Didn't see your original posting, Izzy, 'cos I've been away for a while.

Best,

Tony

--

Tony Earnshaw

The usefulness of RTFM is vastly overrated.

e-post:         tonni billy demon nl
www:            http://www.billy.demon.nl
gpg public key: http://www.billy.demon.nl/tonni.armor

Telefoon:       (+31) (0)172 530428
Mobiel:         (+31) (0)6 51153356

GPG Fingerprint = 3924 6BF8 A755 DE1A 4AD6 FA2B F7D7 6051 3BE7 B981
3BE7B981