Re: [Evolution] LDAP Address Book Setup

On Wed, 2002-08-14 at 12:05, Sean M Alderman wrote:
I have to agree.  ldap lookups work for me, but it's schetchy.  The only
real reason why I want to have an ldap source configured is because I'd
like to have it autocomplete.  Netscape 4.x/Mozilla/Netscape 6.x both do
this from ldap sources very nicely.  We don't use Exchange/Outlook here,
but the look/feel features of Evo are much nicer than any other Gnome
email client, so that's why I use it.  With more than 4000 people here,
and email addresses being firstname middleinitial lastname grc nasa gov
it's a big pain to have to memorize addresses.

Amen!  LDAP sorta-kinda works, occasionally, but certainly not
reliably.  And autocompletion doesn't work at all (in fact, it usually
hangs the mail client when I try and use it!).  And at least y'all at
NASA have a naming convention for email addresses!  Here at HP, the
corporate LDAP database contains over 200k unique people and
distribution list email addresses, and none of them use a naming
convention.  I just use a shell script around ldapsearch to lookup email
addresses, then manually copy & paste 'em into evolution.  The LDAP
functionality in evo is not even remotely usable here.  Like others, I
also find that, in contrast, the Netscape/Mozilla LDAP autocompletion
feature works quite nicely and reliably.  I still use evo, since it is
quite an excellent email client in almost every other way, but I sure
wish the LDAP stuff worked.