Re: [Evolution] Applying filters automatically

On Fri, 2001-10-26 at 19:57, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
On Fri, 2001-10-26 at 12:46, Jens Lautenbacher wrote:
Why can evo notice that there is new mail in INBOX then at all? Without
looking at it? If it can notice this, than it can also (temporarily)
switch over to INBOX, do the filtering, and switch back to "My Folder".

Because when you hit Send & Receive, it doesn't actually open the INBOX,
it just asks how many unread messages it has - and does this for *all*
of the folders on your server except for the folder you are currently
in. If you ever get a chance to read RFC2060 you'll understand.

Sorry for being ignorant, but that still doesn't prohibit from
regularily changing to the INBOX and really opening it, doing the work
and switching back to the previous open folder. Maybe you want to say
that it would be a problem performance wise?

What would happen when I run a script that (using imapfilter for
example) would connect as a daemon to the IMAP server and doing the
filtering while evo is running? Would evo go havoc?

Evolution will eventually support sieve, but seeing as how hardly any
imap implementations actually support sieve, I don't see it as something
important to have asap.

Yes, I know... I hope this will become some kind of standard in the
future. By the way, has exchange something comparable to sieve? maybe it
would help may people if this would be supported.