Re: [Evolution] problems with snapshot

On Fri, 2001-10-12 at 11:30, Scott Dixon wrote:
Hi,
Well, I guess I'll risk being accused of whinging again by pointing out
a few problems with snapshot 2001,19,11,16.13 (RH6.2):

1) For the last few snapshots, I've noticed that some of the filters
don't seem to be applied automatically.  I've had some filters (for
quite a while) which change the color of certain messages, or mark them
important or read.  These don't seem to be applied automatically to new
mail anymore although they used to be.  The filters which move or copy
mail still seem to be applied automatically.  And, if I select messages
and then hit the apply filters menu item, the appropriate color and
status is applied to the messages.

I'm seeing this behavior as well.  In fact, an older filter I had that
marked messages from myself as red colored wouldn't even work if I
manually applied it.  I attempted to create a new filter (rightclick on
header> create rule> create filter on sender), and now it works
manually, we'll see with this message if it works automatically as well.

2)  <SNIP>
3) The new compose message window has problems with text being left
behind on the display when the lines scroll down.  This seems to happen
if you insert into existing test and cause a line break that is shorter
than the text which was there.  Then the existing text stays at the end
of the line (unless you scroll the display in which case it disappears).
This can happen for several lines at a time.

I've made comments on this one in the related thread.  Scott, if you
aren't aware, they just made speed improvements to the gtkhtml editor,
and introduced some minor bugs in process.  see thread entitled "Watch
out for the new editor changes!" for details

4)  <SNIP>
5) If I reply to someone who has sent me a message with an attachment,
the attachment is automatically attached to my reply.  This is new
behavior which I haven't seen with other email clients.  It doesn't
really seem sensible to me since, for example, it means that I
automatically send back the Vcard attachment to anyone who uses them.  I
suspect they already know their Vcard details ;-}, so I don't think I
really need to automatically send their own Vcard back to them.  And in
general, I don't think that people want to get back the attachments they
send me.

I'm seeing this as well.  Scott seems to be correct in that it doesn't
make sense to do this for replies.  HOWEVER, I believe it does make
sense to include attachments when FORWARDING a message inline or quoted,
which is not currently being done.  I assume attachments are included
for mails forwarded "properly" (as attachments) but there is no way to
be sure of this in the message view (can't open up and view the
attachment that I am sending).  It seems a couple of issues may need to
be dealt with here, for each type of forwarding.

-Joe