Re: [Evolution] Can't trust Evolution to send big attachments...

It is not an issue with inline or attached. The attachment gets chopped off while it being sent. The size was about 3MB. The recipient got an attachment that was 32KB. I think this happens only when the SMTP server is remote, i.e. more than few hops away. So there is some response and network delay introduced. When the transmission finally begins, it goes OK for a while, and then some evolution thread seems to kick in and clear out the data buffer that is being sent. So evolution sends an end of data signal.

Ujwal

On Fri, 2001-11-02 at 01:04, Mike Barnes wrote:
On Fri, 2001-11-02 at 19:31, Rebecca J. Walter wrote:
> This is interesting actually.  I can send tar.gz files without a problem
> (entire manuals).  A few days ago, I tried to send a .doc file (created
> in star office) to a customer and it totally broke.  The file she got
> was then called "file.bin" or something like that.

Actually, I can shed a _tiny_ bit of light on this one - I sent a PDF to
someone who complained that she couldn't read it. Since I'm her local PC
support, I went and checked - sure enough, her software was trying to
display the PDF inline.

Evolution had sent the attachment with the file type noted as
text/plain. I meant to track this down a bit more and file a proper bug
report (Gnome sure knows what a PDF is and what file extension it has,
and what apps to throw it to), but I never got around to it. I bet
something similar is happening to you. The attachment is probably fine,
but the MIME file type is stuffed.

Actually, could the person who started this thread qualify how large
"too large" is, roughly? I've got a heap of disk space and bandwidth
here, and I can test it out.

Mike.