[Evolution] Question: How should contact folders work?

Like they say about memory, virtual folders means viral performance.
Between fetchmail and procmail and the filers, I make great use
of folders anyway.  Now I'm trying to get my contacts in place, using
folders much like my Outlook at work.

I found I CAN create contact subfolders.
However when I try importing a vcf into the subfolder I get the message
"Importer not ready, waiting 5 seconds".  The VCF then gets imported not
into the subfolder but into the main folder.  Yes, I know I can move
the files, but it gets tedious with many subfolders and many hundreds of
contacts.  When I also consider that I can't do a bulk import from a
comma delimited file I get the feeling that Evolution isn't designed for
"mail in the large".  I see a few other mailings in this list that point
in that direction.  Maybe someone should take  a look at Pim van Riezen's
[pi vuurwerk nl] "postoffice" for dealing with this.  I hope 'Open
source"
doesn't also mean NIH.

Am I supposed to be able to drag and drop contacts, because I can't.
Not only can I not drag and drop contacts - VCF files - from GMC or
nautilus, I can't even drag and drop from one contact folder to another.
Are either of these operations planned for the future?  While they are no
substitute for bulkloading they are better than one at a time import.

What surprises me, though, is that if I receive mail with a vCard
attached,
Evolution will let me view it, save it to disk bit NOT import it directly
into the contacts.  That makes no sense to me.  I have to save it to
disk,
change folders and then do an import!

Reading over the above after a coffee break, I see that there is a
thread,
not so much about contacts as about the matter of project planning.
Where
can I find a 'roadmap' or project plan that deals with all the
implications?
Dealing with bugs and features is fine, but its chaotic and means there
is
no underlying systemic architecture and that down the road there will be
aggressive refactoring as someone recognises issues of commonality.  Is
anyone
keeping track of this 'substrate' or is this an 'event driven'
implementation,
responding to bugs and feature requests?  Where can I find a
project/implementation
plan?  where can I find out about the overall coherency ?

Anton J Aylward
aja si on ca