Re: [Evolution] Advice

You're right that a separate newsreader that is solely focused on being a newsreader is ultimately better, especially for power users. But the reason Outlook customers wanted a newsreader integrated into Outlook is mostly because corporations don't want to install 2 applications to get the functionality they need. It's easy for an end-user to just install both apps, but for an IT dept in a large corporation, rolling out 2 apps to 5000 or 10000+ desktops (overnight or over a weekend to boot!) is more than twice the amount of work of deploying one app (and the fact that OE & Outlook had loads of interoperability problems didn't help). And specifically about Outlook & OE, because both are mail clients, users were very confused about which to use for mail and which to use for news.... the lousy naming of the 2 products didn't help either. So Outlook lost out on big contracts with corporations who went with OE (for $0/copy) instead of Outlook for everything (since OE has them integrated).

And, believe it or not, there are lots of corporations who use NNTP for internal discussions (why? cuz it works... imagine that!;). So many corporations have real use for a newsreader. This is what always shocked the Outlook team.... most Outlookers believe that NNTP is for Britney Spears fan clubs and porn, so simply refused to believe the IT dept at companies like Ford Motor Company that NNTP really is important to them, no matter how loud Ford screamed at them. And most Outlook users didn't live with Outlook open all day (the way we have our mail client open all day long) but instead, launched it, read & send mail, closed it, repeat. So having to do that with 2 different apps to get their mail and then their news was just dumb and irritating. Another reason MS never put a newsreader in Outlook was because they wanted to push Exchange Server's Public Folders instead of NNTP so that corps would buy Exchange Server instead of an NNTP server that MS didn't make.

I'm not encouraging the Evolution team to build a newsreader either..... but they should be at least work well together and the Evolution team should understand why or why not they would want to do it. Outlook & OE don't work together at all. For example, you can't drag a message from an OE newsgroup into Outlook's folders. And the fact that Outlook & OE have a slightly different UI for doing very similar things doesn't make it easy on the user. For example, in OE you can view news in a threaded view, but not in Outlook (another big request from users for Outlook). If Evolution and Pan or any good newsreader could be integrated into the same UI, it'd be a surprisingly big plus for Evolution, i think.

Another thing that I mentioned to another person who replied was the Outlook store. Very quickly, the Outlook database ("store" as I call it) is very, very, very poor. it's slow, gets slower as it grows, is not multi-user and is very unstable. MS has tried and tried to get rid of it and replace it with a better store, from a SQL db to a mini version of the Exchange Server store. Both failed, so Outlook will be stuck with this terrible store for the foreseeable future. And customers know and understand why Outlook's store suck so bad. If Evolution had a fast, reliable, 3rd-party-accessible and a non-proprietary store, a surprising number of corporations would be very interested.

Another thing that comes to mind is the poor version of Schedule+ that Outlook had. Outlook, to this day, has not yet caught up with the features that Schedule+ had years ago. Customers constantly complained about this feature or that feature that S+ had that Outlook doesn't.

One pretty brilliant thing that Outlook does that I haven't seen any other product do has to do with HTML vs plain text mail. Mozilla, for example, asks me every time i send if i wanna send HTML or plain text. Outlook has simple but smart logic: if the message I'm replying to came in as HTML, my reply is HTML. That works very well. Another super-useful Outlook thing is that it does "morphing" of items... so I can drag an email message to the calendar to create an appointment item (or any folder to create that item type) with the text of the email in the appointment text field. I wished Outlook could go back the other way too.

Some suggestions for Evolution:
1. make reminders good, not dumb like Outlook's reminders. a HUGELY requested reminder feature is to have reminders fire when Outlook is not running. 2. Outlook Bar is good for novice users, Folder List is good for power users. But neither is good for most users. Do something good there. 3. Outlook is getting better at syncing from the server for laptop users, but it still sucks. Easy & transparent offline use is a VERY important feature to users! 4. Performance, performance, performance. 40MB of RAM to run an email client is no good. 5. Client & server-side rules are BIG! This should be really easy to configure and if they can work on the server (e.g., edit Procmail rules from the client), even better.
6. Solve Outlook's brain-dead virus attachment "feature". :)

Ultimately, Outlook as a product is a miserable failure. But it did very well in the marketplace because (1) it was in the box with Office, (2) corps who deployed Exchange Server had no choice but to use it and (3) 3rd party companies saw it as a platform to sell their add-on products so they helped market it. But it's well-understood in MS that Outlook by itself would not have sold a single copy. People inside MS hate to use it too. In fact, the total number of copies of standalone Outlook ever sold is measured in the thousands (very poor for a MS product).

Anyway, I'm rambling and I can't really recite every piece of info I learned in an email message right now. But if there are specific questions I'd be happy to answer them, like why Outlook did this or didn't do this, what UI features of Outlook didn't work well at all versus which ones were very good, what people want to do with Outlook, why the Journal feature in Outlook is despised, etc.

David Fallon wrote:

Speaking only for myself as an end user, I'd love to hear what feedback MS
was getting about outlook, both good and bad, and what your thoughts are on
how it succeeded and failed... For example, the integrated news reader is a
very curious thing - I've always found that the separate news readers that
focused on the task were always much better than the built in ones (ala
netscape/outlook express) - Pan, for example, is an amazing newsreader, and
it seems fairly silly for the evolution people to build that into
evolution - although with Bonobo, they might not have to. Please, though,
share your experiences with the list... ;) At the very worst, we'll all
write you off as a crazy microserf, and ignore you, but you'll feel better
for the effort.