Re: [Evolution] Cannot initialize Evolution shell.

there are others having this trouble too (i was one). someone earlier in
the week pointed to the message archives, where the answer is.

the short of it is you need to go through your /usr/local/lib and
/usr/local/bin and remove the stuff you've compiled from source
(incorrectly, i might add, if that's what you did (it's what i did).
that stuff should be configured with a --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc
to behave properly with the rest of Debian and Ximian GNOME). what's
happening is that /usr/local/* is before /usr/* in your PATH and
evolution is getting very confused. cleaning out /usr/local/* allows the
precompiled Debian packages to work.

i don't know if you need to re-run ldconfig, but i did.

at least, that worked for me. but i can't get the calendar to work... it
just sits there and uses 100% of the processor (well, 50% on my SMP
box). i suspect it's something similar.

HTH