[Evolution] No compose in snapshots

I'm using a snapshot available from Ximian (0.8 +cvs.2001.
I'm using evolution just as a mailer, and there's only one thing that is
not working for me: everytime I push the compose button I get a message
saying "Could not create composer window.". I've found reports to this
error in 0.8 related mails, but the solution presented (reinstall) doesn't

I'm using RH-6.1 with all updates (except the ones that conflict with
ximian) and ximian gnome.

        Thanks for your time and a great program,

                                                 João Miguel Neves