Re: [discuss] Re: [Evolution] Re: [discuss] GROUPWARE - what is it, anyways?

On Thu, 8 Feb 2001, Dan Kuykendall wrote:

The hierarchical relationships will have to be stored on the server.
You might want to provide developers with operations like "delete this
branch of tasks from the tree".  etc.  without having to incur multiple
network calls to delete each child element.

Good point

I don't see this as an advantage.  Isn't some sort of roadmap useful
before coding?  Everyone here could be talking about something
different.

Document/road map first. Yes... but Im also going to start hacking some
tests together to verify that the design will be practicle. I also will
adjust phpGW so that it can be quickly adapted as the first OGS server
implementation. I personally think that documenting by writing code is a
decent way to go. At least after you have the basic concepts documented
first.

It's just that I have seen people refer to really strange things as 'TODO
lists'....

Will Evo support OGS if it intends to produce its own back end
eventually?  Can someone talk to them and get opinions?

I have no idea at this point. I can only hope

If Evolution, phpGW and "we" all talked OGS, all parties would get
benefits:

        * phpGW - interoperability/ easy acceptance into Gnome/Evolution
          based environments as well as future SO/OO.o based environments
          + possibly lots of eyes

        * Evolution based environments get 'extranet'/web access via phpGW
          + potential Gnome-wide benefits in groupware + integration with
          SO/OO.o

        * we get groupware + nice integration of groupware on Gnome
          desktop + being able to use essentially the same solution on all
          platforms

But naturally it is up to Evolution developers to decide what they want to
do...

Seek3r

        Sander

One day a tortoise will learn to fly