Re: [Evolution] Re: corrupted attachments

On Thu, 2001-08-23 at 14:44, Dan Winship wrote:
The bad news is that there appears to be an issue with the M$ style text
files which have both carriage return and newline to mark ends of lines.

These carriage returns get stripped off by evolution.  Ie if ends of
line are marked by CR (0d) LF (0a) the attachment only ends up with LF
(0a).

Hm. Did you send the file from Evolution or something else, and if
something else, was it on linux or windows?

the file was sent from Evolution

(evolution-0.12.99-snap.ximian.200108212341 to be precise)

I mailed the offending attachment to myself.

All internet email is sent with CRLFs, regardless of the source and
destination.

...but we are talking about attachments here which are encoded as part
of the attachment process in order to preserve their contents...

So if you attached a text file to your message on a Windows
box, it would presumably treat the CRLFs as just "normal", and not
specially encode the attachment,

i used evolution to send the message

and then when Evolution receives it, it
would strip the CRs all off, because it's supposed to be a text file,
and text files on unix only have LFs.

hmmm.. are you saying that when I save an attachment from evolution
using "save to disk" that it looks at the file and says, "this looks
like a text file, i'd better change those CR/LF's to simple LF's"?

I think i would prefer it if it left them alone.

If you sent the file from Evolution though, it seems as though it ought
to take care to ensure that the file gets encoded such that the CRs
survive on the other side...

that's what I'd have expected.

the only other piece involved in this puzzle is an M$ exchange server,
but I'd be very surprised if that is messing with the attachments.

As I see it there are only three suspects for removing the CR's:

        1. evolution when it encodes the data on the way out
        2. evolution when it saves an attachment to disk
        3. the exchange server

I have just ruled out 1. and 3. by saving the attachment from outlook.
The CR/LF stuff is preserved.

So it looks like the problem occurs as the data is saved by evolution.
This might be a conscious decision on the part of evolution, but I
really don't think it is the right thing to do, it shouldn't alter a
single byte of the attachment if it is asked to save it.

John